Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Vermont, Fall, and Conference

This past weekend was wonderful. I really enjoyed watching General Conference. It was definitely a different experience than in April. Michael rigged it up so that we were able to watch it on the Internet on the flat panel monitor of our desktop. (As a side note, when they hooked up our Internet something didn't work quite right so we can only get the Internet on our laptop and not the desktop). There were some really great talks. What I like about conference is the renewal I feel. I feel a renewed desire to be better. It was also neat to see the new general authorities sustained. I was sad, though, that President Faust is gone now. I guess I should also mention that the Relief Society Broadcast was great as well. It was nice to get together with the sisters in my ward and watch it.

By now, most of you probably know about our Vermont excursion. A couple of weeks ago, we went with some friends of ours from our ward to Sharon, Vermont, the birthplace of Joseph Smith. We camped at a nearby campground owned by the stake there. There was a lot of cool stuff up in Vermont. We went to the monument erected to Joseph Smith. I was a lot bigger than I imagined. It was 37.5 feet tall or one foot per year of his life. They told several neat stories about the spot he was born. One neat thing is that the home that his family lived on was on the border between Sharon and and South Royalton. So, they are not sure exactly what town he was born in. However, Joseph Smith, Sr. registered the birth in Sharon so that is where he is considered to be born.

We also went to the Ben & Jerry's factory in Waterbury. The best part was the free sample at the end. Unfortunately, they were not working on ice cream because it was a Saturday. We were still about to go on a tour, though. We got to try a new flavor called bananas on the rum. Michael and I bought an ice cream cookbook. We want to get an ice cream maker soon so that we can try some of the recipes out. In addition, we went to the Cabot cheese outlet and a cider mill. We got to try so much yummy food. It was great!

It has been beautiful here. I can't imagine having an actual yard here because dealing with the leaves would be horrendous. But all the trees are changing colors now. Hopefully by the time my parents come at the end of this month, it will be in full color. I think I am beginning to really like New England.

2 comments:

karla said...

I loved Conference, too. I wish I could be there to see the leaves changing colors, too!

Tyler Waterfall said...

I loved hearing about your Conference renewal. That's how I always feel, too. It's a good thing we have it every six months, huh? Vermont sounds wonderful! I'm so glad you could go and that you're enjoying fall. I don't think there's anything else like fall in New England. You are so lucky!