Sunday, November 2, 2008

Walktober

They have this really awesome thing here is Connecticut called Walktober. The part of Connecticut that I live in is called the quiet corner because it has not been developed nearly as much as the rest of CT or the East Coast. Well, every October they have an entire month of hikes and historical tours all over the quiet corner. I had a chance to go to a couple of these and I had so much fun. Here are a couple of pictures of the beautiful places I got to see. Unfortunately, Michael did not get to go, but hopefully we will get to go back and see them together sometime.

The first one that I went one was a mill tour. We walked along the Nipmuck Trail and they showed us several places where there were ruins or evidence of past mills. That explains all of the names of roads with mill in them around here. I guess during the Industrial Revolution, this area was a big hub for all types of industry. But, we started the tour at a replica of Gurleyville Mill and I got to go in and see the workings and everthing.


The other two pictures that I have here are just beautiful spots that I saw along the way. It was enjoyable hiking along, although, I wish Michael could have gone with me.


The next two pictures are of the second hike that I went on. This one was at Goodwin State Forest. They talked about their new native gardens illustrating ways to create a native garden in multiple types of settings. The first picture is a bird and butterfly garden. I was wishing that it was spring and I could see all of the little critters enjoying it.

This is one of the views at Goodwin. I really liked this place and I would have never know it was there if it weren't for this program. I am excited to find out about all of the natural places so nearby. Isn't this beatiful!?

We have been very busy this past little while. Michael is always needing the computer to write papers and such, so I don't get much time to use it for blogging. He is taking a nap so I snatched up the time. I hope everyone had a Happy Halloween. Although, I have never been a big fan of the holiday, I do like that it starts of the rest of the fun holidays of the year. I am already looking forward to the holidays because we will get to spend time with family!

6 comments:

Liz said...

Hey guys! Those are beautiful pictures. I love hiking and I also love fall...so pretty. I hope things are going well for you guys! Good Luck with school and work for you both! Loves and hugs

Jenny said...

That looks like a lot of fun, scenic and informational. I didn't realize before you sent that email out that they did that here. I'll have to go on some next year.

Anonymous said...

Wow! That sounds like such fun, and looks gorgious!

Megan said...

I wish I had known about Walktober. Not that I would have really participated, but maybe I will next year. Sara, it was good to talk to you today and I hope you had a good day at work!

Jacalyn said...

It was fun to read your blog and look at your fun pictures. I love you both and miss you tons. Can't wait for Christmas!

Reid Family said...

It has been fun to look at your blog! We miss seeing you guys at sunday dinner! We have a blog now too. It's chrisandkarenreid.blogspot.com