It has been awhile. I had meant to post several times and even started to at least once, but I just didn't get it done. As a result, I likely have way more to say than I have time to write. So, I will try to make this the brief and exciting version of the last month.
One really cool thing that I did at the beginning of November is that I ran in a 5K (3.1 mile) race. It had been a long time since I had really done any serious running. I got back into it this summer at the urging of some friends and family. Running really does reduce stress for me. I know some of you out there are thinking that there couldn't be anything more stressful than running. I ran in a race in downtown Hartford and I surprised myself by running very well and I wasn't even that sore after. I ran the race in 24:29. I was shocked since it had been a long time since I had run in a race. I guess my competitive spirit came out.
We had a fun Thanksgiving. Michael and I were blessed to have my parents come to visit. They stayed with us for about a week. It was the most relaxing week that I had had in a long time. They came during the week of Thanksgiving break at UConn so work was slow. Plus, I got to have a 5 day weekend. It was also very nice to see my parents. It had been just shy of a year since I last saw them.
While my parents were here, we did some sight-seeing. We went to Gillette Castle and the Book Barn in Niantic, CT. For those of you who have not been to the book barn and who like to read, I highly recommend it. Although, I would suggest going when it is warmer. It was very cold looking around at the books.
On Thursday, Mom and I made dinner together. We made turkey, stuffing, green beans, rolls, gravy, mashed potatoes, and pie. We had a lot of fun doing that and we somehow managed to do it in my tiny kitchen. If you haven't seen it, let me just tell you that it not made for someone who cooks. I'll just leave it at that. Michael had a good idea to marinate the turkey in 7up and garlic. It was the most moist, tasty turkey I've ever had.
Friday was a very wonderful and crazy day. We had the wonderful opportunity to go to the temple to do the work for my Grandma (Mamaw) Trosper and several of my other ancestors. I got to do the baptism, confirmation, and initiatory for her. It was so peaceful to be in the temple. It had been awhile since Michael and I had been and I really enjoyed the spirit and the peace. I hope that someday I will be reunited with those that we got the chance to do the work for. I am glad I got to serve them!
After our temple visit, we went into Boston and walked the Freedom Trail. It was pretty fun. It gets dark fairly early now so we didn't have a ton of time to look around, but it was still nice. We got to see the Old North Church, Paul Revere's grave and a really neat Holocaust memorial to name a few things. My Dad and Michael also ran up to the Bunker Hill monument and the U.S.S. Constitution. They left Mom and I at Old North Church. While they were gone, though, the church caught fire (a pretty small one I am assuming), but they evacuated the area and called in four fire trucks. We were a little nervous being alone in downtown Boston, but at least we were together. By the time the guys got back to us, all of the excitement was over and they were both exhausted. It is a long way to Bunker Hill and there are 297 steps to the top of the Bunker Hill monument. I am told that they ran up it! Ugh!
We look forward to our trip to Pocatello for Christmas. We leave in just a little over a week. I am excited to get some much needed rest and relaxation. I hope I can survive my job until then.
4 comments:
I read your post out loud to Scott, and we were both like, "7-up and garlic?!!" You'll have to tell us more about it because Scott loves turkey more than life (I'm only partly joking!).
We're so glad you got to relax a little bit and have a great time with Mom and Dad. Hopefully we'll be blessed to see you and Michael during your Christmas break. We love you!
Yay for being in Idaho for Christmas! I'm glad to hear that you are doing well, and good job on picking up running again! That is something I could use a little more of. :)
Sounds like a great Thanksgiving. And for your example to motivate me to get running again! :)
Post a Comment